OVERVIEW AND HISTORY
In 2001, Rev. David Beckmann, President of Bread for the World, approached a diverse group of organizations about founding a national anti-hunger movement that brings together institutions and people of conscience across all faiths, cultures, and political ideologies. In 2004, the Alliance to End Hunger was founded and since then has been working to build the public and political will to end hunger. The Alliance is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization. Bread for the World Institute provides management and staff services for the Alliance to End Hunger.
The Alliance and its members believe that a country and a world without hunger is a goal within our reach and that it is the responsibility of individuals, communities, and governments to make it happen. The Alliance fosters strategic partnerships to overcome hunger in our country and around the world; builds political commitment from our leaders to do what it takes to end hunger; and creates global connections with the UN International Alliance Against Hunger, where it joins similar efforts underway in 49 countries to cut in half the number of hungry people by 2015.
The Alliance has grown to more than 80 members representing all facets of the anti-hunger community, including:
- Groups focused on global hunger like the Catholic Relief Services, Stop Hunger Now and the Global FoodBanking Network;
- Groups concerned about domestic hunger like the Meals on Wheels Association of America and the National Farmers Union;
- Corporations of all sizes like Cargill, Inc., H-E-B Grocery, Sodexo, the American Peanut Council, and Land O' Lakes.
- Direct service providers like Heifer International, CampusKitchens Project, and Save the Children;
- Religious organizations like Islamic Relief, Jewish Council for Public Affairs, and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America;
- Grantmakers like MAZON: A Jewish Response to Hunger and Share Our Strength;
- Major universities like Auburn University, Tufts and George Washington University;
- Advocacy groups like Bread for the World and RESULTS.